The First Years Compass B570 Pathway Booster Car Seat is a high back booster seat ( as opposed to a “backless booster”) and the big brother to the hugely popular and highly rated Compass B540 Booster Car Seat.
These two Compass Belt Positioning Boosters have received a FIVE star “ease-of-use rating”, from the National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA). The Compass Pathway B570 has also been awarded a ‘Best Bet’ rating by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety!
Both of these Compass Booster Car Seats have been designed for use with children weighing between 30lbs up to 100lbs, so are not suitable for babies and younger toddlers.
However, as a second car seat once your child grows, the Compass car seats are definitely hard to beat. Add to that the fact that the headrest is fully adjustable to six height positions, with the design leaving no gaps as it is extended, ensuring added safety in the event of a side-impact.
The B570 Pathway has been designed with large cushioned EPS foam side “wings” as part of the headrest, providing both comfort and safety in the event of a side impact collision.
As you can see in the images, the headrest side “wings” are quite thick and well cushioned. Side-impact testing is a standard procedure for all First Year’s car seats and these car seats are tested to Australian standards, which are widely known to be the most stringent standards for side-impact testing.
The Pathway Booster Seat is very easy to install, as it features a 3 position self adjusting back, meaning that it should be capable of adjusting to almost any cars back seat.
It is also very easy to buckle your child into the seat, with patented adjustable belt paths providing a better and more secure fit for your growing child.
With many booster seats you need to keep the seat belt buckled even when they are empty or not in use to prevent them from becoming a dangerous projectile in the event of a collision.
NOT so with the Compass B570 – it has been designed with a special LATCH connector system to keep the car seat secure, so that you don’t have to remember to buckle the car seat after you drop off your child.
The Compass B570 also features two adjustable arm rests making entry and exit from the car seat extremely easy and simple. The two cup holders on either side of the car seat can easily be removed and are dishwasher safe .
On the back of the Compass B570 you will find the patented one-hand folding feature making storage and moving the car seat from one location to another very easy.
While the Compass B570 comes in at 16.5lbs (as against the Compass B540 at only 9lbs), it is still quite light and easy to manoeuvre, making it very portable for travel.
- Received a five-star “Ease of Use” government rating from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- Color-coded adjustable shoulder belt path for better and more secure fit
- Color-coded lap belt positioning for a better and more securefit
- Latch connections for secure installation and containment when not in use
- Deeper headrest for better and more secure head containment
- Two removable, dishwasher-safe cupholders for easy cleaning
- Self-adjusting seat back (3 position) for better installation
- Six-position height adjustable “no gap” back
- Taller belt path to accommodate larger children
- Patented easy, one-hand fold operation
- Built-in carry handle for transportation
- Deep side wing padded protection with EPS foam
- Side-impact tested to international standards
- Narrow bottom rails for better installation in smaller cars
- For use with children 30-100 lbs. (approx. 3-10 years old)
- Awarded a ‘Best Bet’ rating by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety
In summary, the First Years Compass B570 Pathway Booster Car Seat is highly recommended – however, you would really need to determine whether the extra features of the Compass B570 over the Compass B540 are worth the extra weight and price?